Thursday, June 7, 2012

Oh Dear Hannah

“Hannah, why do you weep and why do you not eat and why is your heart sad? Am I not better to you than ten sons?” - 1 Samuel 1.


1. I wouldn't justify myself getting a second wife because the first could not bear children as the Lord had closed her womb. Then again, it was all part of God's sovereign plan. Her imperfection does not justify my right to give less than 100% of myself.


2. Elkanah obviously still loved Hannah despite her imperfection as the Lord had closed her womb. He gave her double portion. Loving her in her imperfection.


3. Hannah's refusal to stop weeping and not partake food and expressing a downcast self has only frustrated Elkanah. It begets the question if Elkanah even took notice of the real source of Hannah's sorrow and attempt to be there for her. Hannah eventually did obey Elkanah and ate, but she sought the Lord thereafter in her distress. Sometimes, the issue can only be resolved by God Himself. I have to avail myself and understand her in her plight/situation.

Samuel defined - Because I have asked him of the Lord.

1 Sam 1:28 -  Parents are only stewards of God's people/children. Hannah kept her part of the bargain and after weaning Samuel, she left him in the house of the Lord to serve.

No comments: